How to Make Your Property Less Attractive to Termites
How to Prevent Termites on the Gold Coast. During building construction, use a concrete foundation slab and leave a large ventilation space between the soil, concrete. Paint any exposed wooden surfaces with a water sealant or termite metal or chemical barrier.
- After building, it’s best to keep the soil around the footing foundation dry with proper rock grading to aid water flow and around gutters and down pipes.
- Reduce building openings that offer termites access to the house floor base – sealing cracks in the house cement foundations as well and around where water plumbing passes through the walls of the property.
- Fix any internal or external water leaks fast.
- Keep all air vents free from plant or tree blockage, including water features.
- Make sure that trees and shrubs are not planted too close to the concrete foundation floor structure, and do not allow them to grow against any exterior wood surfaces.
- Remove storage firewood or wooden debris next to the property.
- Inspect for termites often to help ensure that termite colonies do not grow.
Some Termite Risk Factors
- Too little sub-floor clearances and slab-on-ground.
- Too little site drainage, and leaking water services.
- Sub-floor wood (tree roots, buried timber slabs, damp spot tree areas).
- Cracks and holes in the foundation concrete slab.
With any Termites, Prevention is best
- Licensed trained pest controllers do regular annual termite inspections to find termites and termite home damage.
- When installing new wooden fences, use termite-resistant / treated timber.
- Minimize any cracks in the concrete slabs by machine rolling the soil before laying the concrete.
- Fix any leaking water pipes and any ventilation in sub-floors, which create great living conditions for termites.
- Always inspect timber and furniture before bringing it into your home or business.
- Best not to place gardens against walls.
- No stacking firewood against your house or shed.
The Damage Termites Can Cause
Termite damage is often severe as these pests live inside wooden objects and create tunnels weakening wooden structures from the inside. Termite can be in just one area of the premise or can be all over the building.
How to Keep Your Home Safe
It’s best know and find the signs of termite infestations. Don’t bring bush wood, including artwork or wood from the park into your home environment. Best to book a termite inspection to check for any termite damage.
If you would like a termite control or termite inspection, please click here for our termite control gold coast team to confirm an appointment.